Men and Women in Ministry
Cadence International’s Board of Directors affirms and approves this Position Paper in an effort to honor differences on a theological matter not defined in the Cadence Statement of Doctrine while providing a framework within which our staff may minister in unity. This position aligns with the mission’s original charter to be an “evangelical, nonsectarian, and interdenominational” parachurch organization dedicated to sharing the gospel and our lives with the military community.
- We will approach this discussion with humility as we seek to honor God, work together well as men and women, and advance the Kingdom of Christ.
- We will continue to learn and grow in our understanding of God’s Word, believing it is our authority while also realizing biblical interpretations throughout history and in our days sometimes differ.
- We will keep the main thing the main thing: The Gospel of Jesus Christ and the need for salvation for every person on this earth through Christ alone. We will display Gospel-unity through diversity when engaging one another on the topic of men and women in ministry.
- We will celebrate the many ways men and women work well together in various facets of ministry within Cadence.
- We believe God created men and women equal in value, dignity, and purpose. Both male and female are given His creation mandate to rule, subdue, co-create, and bear the image of God.
- We believe the expression of image bearing contains both sameness in common humanity and distinctiveness in unique masculinity and femininity.
- We believe men and women alike are chosen by God, gifted and enabled by the Holy Spirit, and called for His Kingdom work.
- We believe the Great Commandment and the Great Commission are for all believers, both men and women, working individually and together.
- We affirm that Cadence is not a local church nor do we plant local churches, and are therefore not organized according to any particular church leadership structure. Cadence is guided in decision-making processes by our grounding in biblical truth, principles found in our Core Values, and our charter as an “evangelical, nonsectarian, and interdenominational” mission agency.
- We affirm that the matter of men and women in ministry is one on which we commit to work with those holding differing views because this does not fall within our organization’s core theology defined in our Statement of Doctrine.
- We affirm that leadership within Cadence will include both men and women. When making appointments to leadership, we will give due consideration to multiple factors, including one’s calling, giftedness, and the needs of the mission.
- We affirm that for married couples a healthy God-honoring relationship between husband and wife is vital to their ministry and one of the criteria for service with Cadence. As it relates to this matter, Cadence staff are free to live out their biblical convictions in their families, homes, and local ministries within the principles and practices outlined in this Position Paper.
- We will honor and develop the gifts God gives to our staff, and we will look for and encourage opportunities for them to use those gifts within our mission.
- We will offer leadership development and pathways of growth for both men and women.
- We will be intentional about working together as men and women, understanding that each have vital and important contributions to make to our organization. We will display professional respect to fellow staff members who hold differing biblical convictions on this matter.
- We will practice holy living and sacrificial love in relating to others, including our spouses, colleagues, friends, and the military community.
The Cadence Board of Directors affirms and approves this Position Paper as of February 27, 2021. Furthermore, the Board directs the President and the Executive Leadership Team to work out the application of this Position Paper as it best aligns with the mission and charter of Cadence, and in accordance with biblical principles, sound leadership, wisdom, and love.